Celebrating 200 years in the
Diocese of Maryland
Religious activity on the site of St. John’s Church dates back to 1800 when rectors from St. Thomas’ Church held services in an old school house across the road from the present day church. As the number of communicants grew, local Episcopalians came together to establish a new church.
The first church was built in 1816 and consecrated two years later. In 1842, the rectory was built. Today, it is the oldest rectory in the Diocese of Maryland still used for its original purpose.
On Christmas Day, 1867, the church was destroyed by fire. Only the steeple bell and cornerstone survived. The present day church was erected in 1869 and services began in the summer of 1870. The present Parish House was built in 2003.
The church as it is seen today is a classic example of Gothic Revival architecture topped by a 100-foot spire. The interior is noted for its scissor arches, stained glass windows depicting the Gospel of St. John, and beautiful wood carvings.
The beautiful Cemetery at St. John’s reflects the long history of the Parish and of many of the families who were part of the foundation of the Western Run Valley and of Baltimore County. It dates to the early 1800’s and continues to serve the needs of the Parish community today. The oldest stone belongs to Samuel Worthington, born in 1734.
A complete history of St. John’s Church from 1800-2000 is available for purchase at the Parish office.
A book written by Margaret Worrall, The History of St. John’s Church, Western Run Parish from 1800-2000 is available for purchase at the Parish office.